Dating royal doulton bunnykins marks
Virtually all Doulton tableware has a black printed Royal Doulton ‘mark’ or ‘backstamp’ applied to the underside of the ware.The mark was varied from time to time and the table below includes the major marks that appear on tableware manufactured at Doulton’s Niles St, Burslem, factory (the Burslem ‘Series Ware and the Lambeth-manufactured stonewares often have special marks). and Doulton marks appear on the earthenware and bone china (from c. The most common Doulton mark is circular with the central four interlicking ‘D’ symbols that continued in later marks.Sixteen miniature bone china Dickens figures were introduced to the HN collection in 1922 and they were based on earlier stoneware models designed by Leslie Harradine.In 1932 these HN figures were re-numbered as miniatures M41-M56.These jugs have coined the term ‘The Original Twelve Tinies’ and are highly collectible due to to their short production time.The tinies required expert decorating skills, and the artists had to balance the tiny jugs on the end of their little fingers.It also set the firm as a key player in the field of artistic pottery.
From 1922 or 1923 until the end (presumably) of 1927 tableware appears bearing a mark that lacks the traditional crown.
The business originally specialised in manufacturing stoneware and produced decorative bottles and salt glaze sewer pipes.
It was in 1853 that the company took the name Doulton.
A totally new Doulton mark of a lion’s head has been used on current-day Doulton tableware.
Its date of introduction is uncertain, but it is likely the mark reflects the 1993 transition from Doulton as a Pearson Group company to the independently listed Royal Doulton plc.